Saturday, December 27, 2008

keep me from going to sleep too soon...


On the advice of Robert Frost, I have been whistling up the road for many years now... seeking moments of wonder and joy in every day life, and trying to share them... the sparkle of sunlight on dust motes in the air, the scent of lavender on the breeze, the birds' nest full of eggs, the holding of small hands, the music of life.

Since I moved a few months ago, I have fallen away from this habit. I have found it hard to meet people here, and feel as though I rarely have people to share these moments with. And so, I shall share them here, if only to remind myself that these moments are wonderful and important.

Here begin the online chronicles of a soul who strives to always whistle up the road of life, banging on doors and persuading others to come see what the clouds are doing to the moon...


Summons

Keep me from going to sleep too soon
Or if I go to sleep too soon
Come wake me up. Come any hour

Of night. Come whistling up the road.

Stomp on the porch. Bang on the door.

Make me get out of bed and come
And let you in and light a light.

Tell me the northern lights are on

And make me look. Or tell me clouds

Are doing something to the moon

They never did before, and show me.

See that I see. Talk to me till
I'm half as wide awake as you

And start to dress wondering why

I ever went to bed at all.
Tell me the walking is superb.

Not only tell me but persuade me.

You know I'm not too hard persuaded.

Robert Francis

3 comments:

  1. Megan, I wrote this poem down when I was 14 years old, and have kept it all these years... it really is what it's all about, isn't it-- don't feel alone out there... thank you so much for posting, as it never occured to me to google it and find the author -- you keep the great poem alive... thanks, Megan... you can talk to me -- not lost out there, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I posted a comment to you... I certainly hope you got it.. appears not as it says "0 comments"... I feel bad that when you posted this you found it hard to meet people... I told you I have held onto this poem since I discovered it randomly at age 14, and love the other poetry you have added here... don't give up.. I am sure at this point you have made friends.. thanks so much for posting.. I have forwarded this on to many people, as I believe it is a somewhat obscure poem that many people are not aware of.. and SHOULD BE... WE KNOW THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Anonymous!

    i found this poem when i was a teenager too, and it took root in my heart.
    glad to know that you love it too :)

    ReplyDelete