Thursday, April 15, 2010

taking it off


so, as you may know, i have been training to run a marathon at the end of this month, and trying to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. last week, in order to stimulate a flurry of donations, i made the commitment to cut off all my hair and donate it to the Locks Of Love, to make wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical treatment... as long as i made my fundraising goal by today.

well, i have made my goal of raising $3000... even though it doesn't all show up yet on my fundraising website. it takes a while to process donations that were not made online...

so, i will be cutting off all the hair that it has taken me two years to grow... and sending it to Locks of Love for someone who cannot grow their own.

i thought it was a fine idea at the time, but now that i actually have to do it... i have been looking at the box of hair clips and pins and elastics and sticks and ties, etc sitting on the shelf in my bathroom and finding myself feeling nostalgic for long hair already. even though i still have it... and even though i was looking forward to how cool i was going to feel in the heat of the summer.

will post photos next week when i get it cut. and in the mean time, i think i'll go brush it for a while... maybe give myself an up-do or something... celebrate the fact that i have long hair for a few more days.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm interested to hear about the experience. I have long hair too, and I'd like to be far less attached to it, especially for a good cause. I can't wait to read about it and see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Twills... I'm pretty sure Locks of Love has a Canadian chapter... and if not, there are other organizations. My brother has grown and donated his hair a few times.

    My hair is not actually that long.... Lock of Love requires donations of 10 inches or more, and my total length is only about 12 inches, so it will be a dramatic change!

    I'm trying not to get to gulpy and sniffly about losing mine. I have a good friend who's just now losing his hair due to chemo and radiation... so cutting mine off was originally intended to be an act of solidarity. The fact that it is long enough to donate makes it an even more satisfactory sacrifice. And the fact that telling people I would cut it off if I made my fundraising goal... and so more peopled felt motivated to donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for that reason... even better!

    But, I'm still feeling rather attached at the moment.

    I'm sure I'll love how cool and easy it is once it's all gone....

    ReplyDelete